Help a Single Black Mother Get Her Child Back (Update)
It’s been a while since we covered the case of Ani Lacy and her son, Nick (who is of the autism spectrum). She’s an eccentric mother, using unschooling methods to bring up her child. Some people may not agree with her, but she’s not a danger to her child. However, the local government sees it differently.
Here’s a synosis of what happened, for those of you who are new:
On May 29th of this year six police officers and two social workers arrived at my door. It was 11:30 pm and my son was sleeping. I had been sleeping too. The social worker handed me a judge’s order assigning her temporary custody of my son and asked that I hand him over.
The department of children’s services had been getting complaints from school officials and later estranged family members, alleging that my child was in danger. The school officials complained that he wasn’t immunized (which, it turns out, is completely within my rights under North Carolina State law) and that he didn’t have glasses which they “suspected” he needed.
I continued to work, at this point I had begun raising money to buy an RV so that we could travel and ‘roadschool.’ I posted a fundraiser online and when my estranged family caught wind of it they started calling me, trying to convince me to send my son to live with them for awhile. I refused (we are estranged for a reason) and stopped taking their phone calls.
Social Services found nothing wrong with Ani Lacy’s parenting and closed the case. When the family caught wind of this, they called the cops and child protective services, which resulted in the above blockquote.
Even thought Ani Lacy’s family called them, they refused to take her son, which placed him in the foster care system. Currently, Nick is not in any immediate danger.
To get the full story from Ani Lacy herself, read this link. There, you’ll find the details of the case (As much as she can legally tell) and the weird ruling the judge gave.
Again, we feel that because she’s a poor Woman of Color (WoC) who refuses to partake in the government system that she’s been looked at differently than other mothers. The system does not have the right to take away a child based on survival tactics, especially since CPS may put kids in foster care where they will fare less better.
Her twitter account is @AniKnits.
Help give this woman and her son a Happy Ending they deserve.
Thanks for your assistance in this matter. It means a lot to us.
28 Notes/ Hide
- sdmcbri85 likes this
- everstrange1 likes this
- daddysaidbringthethunder likes this
- yumeharanozomi reblogged this from perryplat
- perryplat reblogged this from hotsinglesareinyourhouse
- jaithespy likes this
- allecto reblogged this from marauderfang4931
- marauderfang4931 reblogged this from warcrimenancydrew
- adamthegirl likes this
- inbinniebon likes this
- poeticlyfonetic reblogged this from warcrimenancydrew
- curlyfriiies likes this
- htownnerdybetch likes this
- cloud11-11 reblogged this from warcrimenancydrew
- reversecolonialist likes this
- warcrimenancydrew reblogged this from whatwhiteswillneverknow
- ohmygodyui reblogged this from superhusbandslove
- modestinferno reblogged this from beowulfstits-archive
- superhusbandslove reblogged this from whatwhiteswillneverknow
- spaciouslack reblogged this from militantgay
- militantgay reblogged this from whatwhiteswillneverknow
- beowulfstits-archive reblogged this from whatwhiteswillneverknow
- whatwhiteswillneverknow posted this